Make Parenting A Pleasure - a comprehensive group-based, positive-parenting curriculum for stressed parents of children birth to eight years old, taught by certified Family Development Specialists.
- The importance of taking care of themselves so they can better care for their children
- Practical stress management and communication skills
- Effective parenting skills and positive approaches to discipline
- Self care skills
- Greater understanding of their children
- A social support network that can continue after the class ends
This curriculum is built on the following assumptions:
- Parenting is the most important and challenging job there is.
- Parents are their children's first and most important teachers.
- There are many right ways to be a parent or a child.
- Parents are the foundation of the family.
- Getting and giving support is essential for parents.
Parenting classes are offered in 10 sessions held in the spring and fall of each year at the Family Resource Center of United Way of Blair County's office at 5414 Sixth Avenue in Altoona. A certificate of attendance is provided to parents who attend all classes.